Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A few photo's of my plots.

A panoramic view of plot 18, the bit in the foreground is not mine but most of plot 19, the corner of my old raspberry patch is in the top right corner.


The shed is mine and sits on the southern end of the junction between plots 17 and 18.



Image hosting by Photobucket



This is the rest of the panoramic view, the coldframe behind the daleks with a pallet leaning on them is the end of plot 17.


The white blob in the foreground is the end of plot 18.
Image hosting by Photobucket



My shed started out as the back wall of an unwanted and rotting shed at home. With a friend I cut down besides two inner vertical supports and then nailed the two outer offcuts back on to get a "portable loo", attached a door, stuck a roof and floor on, then carried it to site. It was mounted on concrete and brick piles, with roof-straps concreted into two of them so I could firmly screw the hut to its foundation.


This was too small as my plots grew, so I added the lefthand bit.


The dug area is a work in progress. A previous tenant deposited all his weeds and attached soil there, it has been a nettle and couch infested mound, last year I sprayed it with Roundup and I am now digging our lovely dark crumbly weedfree soil across the entire width of Plot 18.
Image hosting by Photobucket
 



This is on the left of the shed (when looking towards the shed) and is my other major work in progress, a fruit terrace on the raised southern, shaded, damp, clay end of Plot 17.


The bushes visible in the background between the posts on the left are my inherited blackberries, which are going this year, they get in the way of cultivation and are full of  couch and bindweed.


Sunday (23rd) I went to Van Hage's Garden Centre and bought two replacement blackcurrents, two redcurrents and two gooseberries. I aim to dig up and move my only gooseberry and have already moved all my raspberries from plot 19 ending up with five complete rows, two of which are shown here.
Image hosting by Photobucket



Three weeks ago I planted all my potatoes, these are the eight thirty foot rows on plot 18 and beyond the manure heaps are the ten eighteen foot rows on plot 17.
Image hosting by Photobucket



From the manure heaps to the metal poles (inclusively) will be squash this year.


To the right of the blackcurrents is "other veg", so far ; onions, garlic and peas.
Image hosting by Photobucket



This is the herb garden, couch is starting to appear in places, so a visit with a ready-use Roundup is looming.


Out of shot to the right is an oak tree and this area never gets that much light, so I am going to keep it as an ornamental / wildlife area.
Image hosting by Photobucket



My truely enormous raised bed, made from sleepers, it was full of strawberries and chives. I dug some sixty strawberry plants out of it, and from in front of it. I can't quite make up my mind what to plant in it yet, so have added a barrow of manure and a barrow of soil, mixed it all up and left it. One of the chive clumps got sliced into four and re-planted in front.
Image hosting by Photobucket

No comments: