Friday, April 28, 2006

Hard days work

Spent all day up the plot today starting around ten and finishing around six.
Started by going to strim the main path, found Paul trying to do his paths with a push mower! Not doing well on nine to ten inches of growth, so did his paths for him. Always worth doing this sort of thing, first for community spirit and he then dug much more before leaving, thus removing more of the ruddy dandelions. Did the edge of the path, both my plots and a couple of other "personal" paths.
The fruit terrace is now complete, will post some photos later.
Weeded last bare terrace bit, put the Merry Tiller across a few times to hack into the clay. Barrowed eight loads of stable manure, spread it, mixed it in with the MT. Dug some nice soil from the Dalek Sanctuary (used MT and pulled up half a gardens worth of chicken wire in the process) to raise the level at the top by the shed, mixed that in, raked out the MT tracks.
Dug up my sole Gooseberry, trimmed it down a bit, replanted it on the terrace with; two more Gosseberries, two Redcurrents and two Blackcurrents, all from Van Hage's in Great Amwell. Looks a bit under-populated, but they will grow.
Tidied up the "drop" from the terrace, skimmed all the loose surface off the slope, cut the bottom foot out of the slope, to give a firm walkway, and put all the spoil up top.
Moved one Dalek and the big square soilsaver to the Sanctuary, my lad turned up after school and pulled up all the kale that had now bolted, with the weeds it nearly filled the Dalek.
Finished by weeding the terrace strawberry area.

Taking it sensibly, work half hour, rest ten minutes stretching back etc, as I have to do given the two ruptured discs in my back, have to admit that during one of my rest periods I dozed off in the sunshine, the dog kept watch on me, woke up to find lots more people on site.

Gilbert had kindly dropped a load of in-the-green daffodils on 17 after I admired his the other day, put them in an upside down watertank lid, with some compost and water till I plant them tomorrow, Think I might put some clumps outside the site gate in the vergs and some clumps amoungst my new fruit.

The cowslip's I dug from mothers front lawn seem to have taken in the carpark, must get some more and some of my volunteer Teazels from home.

No comments: