Saturday, April 04, 2009

Wheely useful.

Despite not being that good at "Springing Forward" on the clock change I have had a great week enjoying the longer period of light available to me after getting back home from work.
Monday, pottered a bit in the greenhouse, watering and checking progress, but otherwise "off gardening".
Tuesday, took the half dozen wavy topped concrete path edging pieces I had and dug them, wrong way up along half the path frontage of Plot 17. Should stop the edge of the path collapsing into the plot and the grass invading, just need to get another half dozen now.
Wednesday, set two blue barrells into place in the retaining wall of the fruit terrace, just one left to do. Good workout this, dig out the clay, test fit and extend hole, repeat several times, place in position and backfill the barrell with tree-surgeon shredding and the excavated soil.
The wheely useful bit? Hacken-slash's new adornments are brilliant. So good in fact that he wears his wheels to bed in the shed and can be driven smoothly to the allotments, where on Thursday he got fitted with steel digging rotors in place of wheels and his new baulker in place of the depth skid, then went ploughing trenches for potato planting. After doing four 30' ones, I rang Diddy who had asked about having some rotovating done on his plot and then admired the sky while waiting for him to turn up. Once we'd identified which bit needed rotovating I got to work and sorted it, then drove Hacken-slash smoothly home.
Friday, was a bit hectic, having seen the BBC weather forecast I felt I had to plant the spuds and did so. But Robert wanted me to collect the trailer so it was out of his way now that he had done the welding. Tip-top trailer repairer my friend Robert, the jockey wheel does not wobble at all now. As a bonus Robert had collected fifteen bags of manure from the neighbouring farms daily roadside "Free Manure" stand for me, so back home and up the allotment in the dark to offload. Good job the truck has excellent lights, scared some young teenagers on the access path, I think they thought I was The Law. Went in, dropped the trailer at Plot 18, drove to the end of the site where I could turn, turned and came back to light my workplace. Lugged fifteen very very fresh manure bags (smelly smelly) up to the fruit terrace and parked them.
Saturday, NO rain, unlike the BBC said, so could have taken it a bit easier on Friday evening.
Homebase 15% off day so went and got some more bagged topsoil to literally top off the blue barrells. Gathered five new strawberry plants while I was there and some more Charlotte seed potatoes. After off-loading the truck at the allotment, went home and took Hacken-slash with me to the plot. First job was to top off a couple of barrells and plonk the strawbs went into one. My unusually cooperative teenager volunteered to mow the main path and feed the Emperor of the Daleks. Once he was kitted out and working I adjusted Hacken-slash's baulker a bit, I'd found that my clay was blocking it and Hacken-slash kept sticking to dig to Oz, so I raised the baulker and moved it nearer to the rotors, which improved things considerably. Drove three good furrows, then went and did a bit of rotovating for Alison to mix a pile of sand into a 25'x10' bed, then took Hacken-slash home and collected the seed potatoes. Managed to set out two and a half more rows of spuds, before running out of them. Packed the mower away and earthed up my rows while the furry supervisor gained a spotty assistant. All three of us then went to enjoy the last home game of the season at the Rugby club, with a sunny walk home.

3 comments:

Hazel said...

Having today done the empty-ripe-manure-bags-into-the-skip community work I appreciate your muck activity.

Stunned at teenager activity. I thought that this was an oxymoron. To be encouraged, obviously.

Stunned also at sustained blog activity - you are in danger of an appearance on my blog roll.

Greenmantle said...

Peter,

What exactly is this Hacken-Slash of which you speak?

A rotorvator of sorts I presume. A photograph would be good.

Greenmantle

podster said...

Hazel, you are too kind.
Greenmantle, try this older blog post http://podsplot.blogspot.com/2006/06/squashing-them-in.html.